Monday, March 28, 2011

Why I Love Baby Wise # 1: Security of a Schedule

Security of a Schedule:

I will be the first to admit, Babywise is not for everyone. I happen to be a creature of habit who thrives on having a routine and structure, so it really works for me and my family. For us, Babywise is more of a lifestyle than just a schedule. I decided I loved it when I nannied for an incredible family with twin boys (and now a beautiful little girl). One would think a house with 1 yr old twins would be nightmare for a nanny. NOT. AT. ALL! The moment I walked in there was a notepad with their schedule on it. From the time they woke up in the morning until the moment they shut their eyes at night, I knew what to do with them. I knew when they'd be hungry, when they needed to play, and when they'd be ready for a nap. Before I met them, I always just accepted the fact that life with kids was just going to be completely chaotic. I figured the kids would run the show until they moved out of the house. This beautiful family opened my eyes to a whole new world and it's crazy for me to think that I'm right smack dab in the middle of it now, using these same principles to raise my little guy.

The eat/wake/sleep cycle has been a lifesaver for me since the day he was born. It has made it easier for me to plan out our days (i.e. timing of playdates, running errands, going to the gym, etc) and also easier for me to troubleshoot when he's fussy (is it a growth spurt, is he teething, is he sick/gassy). He wakes up in the morning, I nurse him, feed him solids, he plays for about 2 hours, then he goes down for a 2 hour nap. He wakes up from his nap, I nurse him, feed him solids, he plays for about 2.5 hours, then goes down for a 2 hour nap. At 7.5 months old, this cycle happens 3 times a day for Cruz (with the 3rd nap only being about 45min-1hr) and by 7pm every night he's down for the count until 7am the next day... and then it happens all over again. I don't have to worry about him being hungry when I'm out running errands because I know he just ate a full meal. I don't have to worry about him falling asleep everywhere I go and getting insufficient rest during the day because I know he just took a good, 2 hour nap. I know when he's tired, I know when he's hungry, I know when he's teething or going through a growth spurt. {Of course, there are off days, and even weeks, but we just adapt and move on with our day. I guess my whole point is, when there are "off days", I know why most of the time because I can easily look back and check off the boxes-hungry, check...tired, check...}

Having structure and a routine has made the transition into mommy-hood so much smoother for me. Obviously, it is still incredibly challenging every day but the structure has given me a huge amount of comfort. The comfort comes from, first of all, truly believing in the Babywise principles, and also comfort in the fact that I feel like I know Cruz's needs and wants almost before he does {In no way am I saying that if you don't do Babywise you don't feel this same way. Just sharing my own experience and feelings:).} I really believe that Cruz finds comfort in the schedule too. He gets excited for "night nights" and wakes up joyful and happy most days. If he wakes up early from a nap, most of the time he will play in there happily for 30-45 minutes before I have to go get him. He likes sleeping, he has always been a good eater, and he plays SUPER hard {seriously, maximum capacity} when he's awake. I can't speak for him, but I think he likes the routine as much as I do, which just reassures me that I'm doing the right thing for our family.

If you're interested in Babywise, you should get the book AND also check out this lady's blog. She is a Babywise know-it-all and has a ton of wisdom.

This is our schedule most days:
7:00-Wake up, Eat (nurse + solids)
9:00-Nap
11:00-Wake up, Eat (nurse + solids)
1:00-Nap
3:00-Wake up, Eat (nurse + solids)
5:00-Nap
5:45-Wake up, Play
6:30-Start Bedtime Routine (bath, jammies, read, eat, prayers, night nights)
7:00-Eat, Bedtime (nurse only)



No comments:

Post a Comment